Monday, June 11, 2012

Doors Shut - Still Worth Mentioning! (Vandaag)

After finding out via this Eater.com articlethat Vandaag in the East Village had closed; I felt it was necessary to finally post my experience there.  While there, enjoying a nice lovely brunch and taking pictures of my food, our waitress even gave me a business card and asked that I send any good pictures.  Being the procrastinator that I am, I kept meaning to do so but just never got around too it.  I guess now is my chance!!!  

Vandaag is a Northern European, Dutch-ish restaurant.  The flavors and details that went into preparing the dishes was awesome. The food was great, Kevin can even be quoted as saying "I just want those balls all the time" - referring to the oxtail balls we ate.  If you like peas and cold soup, I found the Spring Pea soup to be delightful. 


 I even loved the way the tables were set up, with the flowers and the green carafe of water.



 It was cross between spring and old rustic; very bright from the large windows that wrapped around the entire restaurant.  The red wired lights  that hung from the dark wood ceiling added a nice homemade feel.  



 The bar reminded me of an old school diner with more refinement to it. I think it's the white title base of the bar that gave it the old school look but the stools added that rustic feel I was talking about earlier.



Now to what you're here for....the food


BITTERBALLEN - SLOW BRAISED OXTAIL CROQUET, MUSTARD RELISH 

Golden fried balls of oxtail that were slow cooked over baby kale and topped with a outstandingly tasty mustard relish.  Aside the from juicy and FLAVOR packed oxtail, the mustard was the ending highlight.  It brought out the oxtail flavor and added just the right touch that was needed in terms of sauce.


SPRING PEA SOUP - FAVA, PEA SHOOTS, RAZOR CLAM GUAILLO CHILI OIL, RUGBRODN



I'm not kidding when I say this soup was like drinking spring. Meticulously crafted for a BEAUTFUL presentation, this fabulous cold soup was right up my alley.  Razor clams, and fava are joined with the light and refreshing taste of sweet peas.  This is the kind of food I crave on a hot summer day when I can't bare to eat anything hot.

LAMB NECK HASH - SLOW POACHED EGG, PICKLED BABY CARROTS, CIPPOLINIi FINGERLING

I've decided that putting eggs on top of any type of hash is BRILLIANT.  This dish was no exception; extremely hearty and filling for a brunch meal.  Fingerling potatoes and pickled carrots joined a melt in your mouth lamb neck. There was a distinct lamb flavor; which is probably the main reason anyone would order this dish and it did not disappoint.




All in all, I really enjoyed my nice Saturaday brunch at Vandaag.  Service was perfect, decor was nice and the atomsphere was bright and springy (just what we were looking for). I'm glad I was able to eat here before they closed their doors. 

If this looks and sounds as delicious to you as it did me, don't fret as it's been reported that Brendan Spiro moved the majority of the Vandaag team to his newest Brooklyn project Woodland.  The plan is to check out Woodland relatively soon but as there are soooo many BK places to hit up, it may have to take a back seat to some other must visit places.  



No comments:

Post a Comment