Tuesday, October 11, 2011

So Many Activities: for such a small City

It's been awhile since my last post.  Wish I could say it was because I've been eating lots of burgers for the competition but that's just not the case.  Instead, work has been keeping me busy, I've been hitting the gym and Kev and I have been going on adventures.

Our latest trip: Boston.  We arrived around 10-1030am (ish) on Saturday, the adventures for the day included, Harvard Square, eating at Mr Bartley's (known for their Burger), roaming around Harvard Campus, a few beers at John Harvard's Brew House, (their house made pale ale was delicious), the Boston Commons and Public Garden, a little shopping on Newbury Street and back to Fanneuil Hall, the area where we were staying.


The plan was to hit up Union Oyster House for some chowdah (the bartender at John Harvard's said it was the best in the city) then back to the hotel, shower up and head out for dinner.  Plan = FAIL.  Union Oyster House had an hour and a half wait. No THANKS.  We headed towards the North End to try and get a table at Neptune's Oyster, (also so supposed to have great Chowder) but wouldn't you know, another long wait (we never actually found out how long because we couldn't get in the place).  So we did what anyone else would do, grabbed a bottle of vodka, some soda and headed to the hotel.  A few drinks later; all dressed and ready to go, we headed to Boston's Little Italy area (The North End) to finally eat some dinner.  Ok, so have you ever tried to go out to dinner there on a Saturday night?  Literally, every single restaurant, and I mean EVERYONE, was packed with a wait.  Which brings me to the point of my story, earlier in the day, the plan was to hit up this restaurant/gastropub Kev researched which was conveniently placed on his handy Google map in the South End.  After giving up on Italian food and the North End in general, we hopped in a cab headed towards The Gallows.


I LOVED this place.  The decor, atmosphere and people were all so hip and cool; I felt like I was back in NY.  The drinks had an old time feel to them; Kevin got a WOODLAND; Bourbon with vermouth, strawberry and mint I believe; while I had a cucumber martini followed by an extra dirty, extra olives martini.

Now for the main event, the FOOD. In order, this was our entire meal....of course we shared.

Frenchman Bay Mussels - cider, fennel, ginger, cream


Poutine- "Out of Control" (for those that are unfamiliar with Poutine, <--click here) basically, it's hand cut fries topped with a house made gravy & cheese curd.  Ours was topped with fried oysters, shrimp in a New Orleans style sauce.


Prime Sirloin Tartar


Daily Taco - which was fried chicken skin, fried green tomatoes and bacon with some amazing sauce


Our Way Burger - American cheese, grilled onion, iceberg, homemade pickles and fries.

........and now for the pictures.....
Please excuse me for the quality, I only had my iphone camera to work with.  


The Mussels
The broth was like nothing else I've ever tasted with mussels.  I could have had that as a soup it was so good.

Poutine
















Not my favorite but then again it was also a little spicy.  The fried oysters were the best part; that were pretty amazing.










Our Way Burger

The patty was cooked the exact way that I like, chard on the outside.  My only complaint was that the chef only cooked them one way, so the burger wasn't medium rare the way I like it.  To be honest, it would have been one of the best burgers I've had if it was cooked that way.  oh well, it was still tasty. 







By this point I was getting full, but these were to die for (literally could have a heart attack because you're eating chicken skin and bacon together).  Every bite I was like, seriously this is just soooo good.









The tartar was two little pieces and gone before I remembered to take a picture.

And that was just Saturday, stay tuned for our Sunday activities......

No comments:

Post a Comment