Thursday, December 8, 2011

ASTORIA


 Astoria has been my home for the past 3 & 1/2 years.

Dark and a little blurry but the inside of the Astor Room

I didn't full appreciate all it had to offer until the past year or so; since meeting Kevin I've learned tons about my own neighborhood. (he doesn't even live here)  A city just outside Manhattan, Astoria is well known for its Greek influences; extending to restaurants and bakeries as well as the European nightlife.  They are home to PS 1 (super cool Contemporary Art Museum), Kaufman Astoria Studios (The Cosby Show was filmed there), Museum of Moving Image (Film and Art Museum with interactive exhibits) and let's not forget the infamous Astoria Beer Garden aka Bohemian Hall Beer Garden.  The list could continue on and on with the various places you can visit in Astoria which would include many many restaurants.  (see my previous post on the Frickles at MexiQ)  My most recent adventure was dinner at Astor Room; "a contemporary interpretation of the American Supper Club".  




The beautiful old school tiles on the walls

It as originally built as a part of  Paramount's film studio, many of the great actors of the early 1900's have all dined here.  They kept the old prohibition feel to the restaurant; even with their classic style drinks. 

Love these lights


Wall divider with pictures from the different movies/shows that were filmed here




The food was outstanding!!!  (Heard they have a great Sunday Brunch)

Some food pics per usual.....
Rib Eye in a port wine reduction
With grilled asparagus and lobster mashed potatoes

Short rib stroganoff with egg noddles
wild mushrooms topped with Truffle Creme Fraiche
We also have the Beef Tartar which melted in my mouth, Oyster's Rockafella (I could have done without these) and the Fig Jam, Prosciutto, Parmesan and Arugula Flat Bread Pizza.  (all of these were eaten before I could remember to snap pics).  I know living in Astoria makes me somewhat bias but it truly is one the greatest area's NYC has to offer.  The food scene is rapidly growing and the neighborhoods have so much to offer.  All in all Astor Room was one of those places that I will continue to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment