Monday, January 30, 2012

THE LAMB CHALLENGE: Shepard's Pie Recipe

Shepard's Pie!

As a part of the "Lamb Challenge" Kev and I had a few weeks back, I created an extremely delicious Shepard's pie.  Growing up my Grandma used to make, what she called, Shepard's pie - it was actually Cottage pie because it was made with ground or minced beef.  The "real" thing calls for ground lamb; so it was a no brainer to decide on this dish for the challenge.

I based my recipe on Danny Boome's Mummy's traditional recipe.  (When I asked my Grandma for her recipe, she told me the basics but then suggested using the "packet" from the supermarket.  Sorry Gram, I love your cooking but there was no way that was going to happen).



Onion, celery, carrots and garlic are the foundation.You're also going to need, ground Lamb (obviously!), beef stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire, salt and pepper.  The mashed potato recipe is also included in the link above; I used half and half and a little extra butter/cheese.  Creates a nice smooth texture.






The beef stock and Worcestershire sauce are the key ingredients in this dish; adding that flavor and moisture needed to compliment the lamb. I also made sure that there was a decent amount of liquid in the pyrex dish, this way it could retain a juiciness after baking in the oven. 


And there you go....my very own homemade Shepard's pie. Do you see the crispy golden crust of creamy mashed potatoes?!?!  To be completely honest, it was better the second day after all the goodness soaked in. (There wasn't an actual judge but if there were, I would have totally won this challenge!)

Lamb sausages were also created for this challenge.....I will document one day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment